Overnight parking is allowed in the City of Greenfield without permit with the following restrictions:
- Overnight parking on any street or alley within the City shall be permitted year-round, with the exception of declared snow emergencies or on those streets where other parking restrictions or ordinances prevent or prohibit such parking. Motor vehicles parked overnight shall be parked only on the even-numbered side of the street on those nights bearing an even calendar date before midnight and on the odd-numbered side of the street on those nights bearing an odd calendar date before midnight, with handicap parking spaces being exempt from this provision. Enforcement of the provisions in this subsection will be between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
Snow Emergency Parking
- After such declaration of snow emergency, no person shall park any vehicle upon any street declared an emergency thoroughfare from the time of the declaration until the completion of the snowplowing or such other times designated in such declaration. The following streets are considered emergency thoroughfares and NO parking is permitted: S. 27th Street, S. 35th Street, S. 43rd Street, S. 51st Street, S. 60th Street, S. 68th Street, S. 76th Street, S. 84th Street, S. 92nd Street, S. 104th Street, S. 112th Street, S. 116th Street, S. 124th Street and W. Morgan Avenue, W. Howard Avenue, W. Coldspring Road, W. Layton Avenue, W. Edgerton Avenue, W. Grange Avenue, W. Ramsey Avenue, W. College Avenue, W. Loomis Road, W. Forest Home Avenue, W. Beloit Road, S. 31st Street between W. Edgerton Avenue and W. Grange Avenue.
- All additional city streets: (identical to overnight parking however time frame extends until noon)
The declaration shall permit parking only on the even-numbered side of the street on those nights bearing an even calendar date during the portion thereof before midnight and until noon the following day, and on odd-numbered sides of the street on those nights bearing an odd calendar date during the portion thereof before midnight until noon the following day.
- Vehicles left on the street, unmoved, for more than 48 hours are considered abandoned and will be ticketed and towed.
- No vehicle should be left unattended in any public place with the key in the ignition.
- No person shall leave any trailer parked on any street or public property between the hours of 2:00AM and 6:00AM unless the trailer is connected to a towing unit. No motor home or motor bus is also restricted an any city street between the same time frame.
- Any truck greater than 12,000 pounds may not park on any street, unless on official business.
- No parking:
- In a Loading Zone
- In an alley in a business district
- Within 10 feet of a fire hydrant
- Within 4 feet of the entrance to an alley or private road or driveway
- Closer than 15 feet to the near limits of a crosswalk
- In any area other than within the designated parking lanes (places) as established by markings on the pavement
- **Always follow any parking restrictions posted by official traffic signs.**
Mitchell Highlands and Shirley Crest Subdivisions
Special parking regulations have been enacted by the Common Council for the Mitchell Highlands area (north of Morgan Avenue and west of 43rd Street) and the Shirley Crest area (45th Street to 51st Street north of Layton Avenue).