Greenfield Municipal Code, Chapter 12.11(19), was approved in January of 2016 and allows up to two (2) hives per residential property, with some exceptions.
Why is Beekeeping Important?:
- Honey bee populations in the US and around the world are at risk.
- Honey bees are vital to our economy, as they produce honey and pollinate 1/3 of our daily food supply.
- Honey bees in our community pollinate gardens & flowers and provide food for wildlife.
Steps to Becoming a Beekeeper in Greenfield:
- Learn about beekeeping and be able to demonstrate proof of beekeeping competency.
- Create a simple map of your apiary.
- Talk with neighbors who may be impacted by your apiary.
- Visit the Greenfield Health Department with your proof of competency & apiary map and fill out a beekeeping application.
- Beekeeping permits are $25 with an annual renewal fee of $10.
More info at: Beekeeping in Greenfield