Community Development and Zoning
COVID-19 REMOTE PROCEDURES
In response to the COVID-19 Public Health Plan for Suburban Milwaukee County – Order #1, City Hall and the Department of Neighborhood Services Offices are closed to public visitation until further notice. Our staff will continue most of our services, working by mail, over the phone and online.
At this time, payments will be accepted by check or credit card only. Checks may be mailed or dropped off in the City’s 24-hour drop box located at the South parking lot entrance. Call for credit card transactions. Contractors using credit cards may use their designated account payment link.
The Community Development Division is the primary contact for new development and/or redevelopment proposals involving potential residential, commercial, industrial, and community uses. This Division helps coordinate the City development review process which basically is a collaborative process involving the Mayor, Common Council, Plan Commission, other City departments, and residential/business community.
Community Development Functions
- Analyze the viability of statutory development enhancement options such as: Community Development Block Grants, Business Improvement District, Community Development Authority, Tax Incremental Financing, Brownfields-related grants, etc.
- Coordinate development and/or redevelopment activities with county, state, federal, and regional officials, when necessary.
- Coordinate proposals, such as: site and landscaping approvals, re-zonings, special uses, land divisions, new subdivision platting, conceptual project reviews, and planned unit developments.
- Evaluate and recommend strategies to encourage proactive and responsible development designed to maximize property values for all.
- Manage and supervise community development operations across departmental lines.
- Oversee development proposal review for compliance with local ordinances and the 2008 Comprehensive Land Use Plan.
- Answers zoning questions, supplies re-build and zoning compliance letters, and handles all zoning variances with the Zoning Board of Appeals.